You will need the following tools for this task:
- Hose and spray nozzle.
- Cordless drill.
- Soft-bristle brush.
- Screwdriver with socket.
Step 1. Cut The Power
- Begin by disconnecting the service at the air conditioner condenser.
- Do this by pulling the plug connector in the power box.
- You can also flip the AC breaker switch off in the main breaker panel.
Step 2. Remove Screws
- Use your cordless drill or screwdriver with a socket to remove the screws.
- Have a container nearby to place the screws in.
Step 3. Remove Panels
- Start at the back side of your AC unit.
- Remove these panels one by one.
- Be careful as you do not want to damage the condenser fins.
- Keep the panels in order as you remove them to avoid confusion when putting them back.
Step 4. Clean The Fins
- Clean the fins using either a hose with spray nozzle or a soft-bristle brush.
- Brush up and down, never side to side.
- Spray water from the top, not straight on the fins.
Step 5. Re-Install Panels
- Re-install these panels in the reverse order that you removed them.
- Use a screwdriver to leave the screws loose until all panels are back in place.
- Tighten the screws next.
- It can be helpful to install the corner panels before flat panels, depending on the unit.